GeoGuard is an innovative end-to-end service for the continuous monitoring of critical infrastructure and natural hazards.
Social & industrial challenges
From now to 2030 $57 trillion in infrastructure investment are estimated. $400 billion a year could be saved by getting more out of existing capacity.
Precise and timely measurements of the geometry of critical infrastructure guarantee these results and help in the prevention of catastrophic failures and reduction of insurance costs.*
Economic losses due to natural disasters (landslides, floods, earthquakes and drought) since 2000 are in the range of $2.5 trillion.**
A proper monitoring system facilitates the development of hazards prediction to mitigate or eliminate the risk thus promoting management strategies.
GeoGuard is designed to face and respond to social and industrial challenges:
safety of Critical Infrastructure
- Natural Hazards prediction and risk control
* McKinsey Global Institute, Infrastructure Practices January 2013
* * UNISDR 2013 Global Assessment Report on Disaster Risk Reduction (GAR13)
Precise and timely measurements of the infrastructure movements and deformations. In particular for:
Transportation & travel, such as bridges, airports, harbors and railways
Water distribution, such as water tanks and pipelines
Telecommunication infrastructure such as data, cellular and broadcasting network towers
Domestic security for military purpose, such as radars and radio systems
Energy, such as dams for hydro power plants, towers for high voltage, wind farms
Oil & gas transportation and storage
Cultural heritage and large stadiums preservation
Precise and continuous measures to prevent hazards and reduce risks, particularly in the following areas:
- subsidence or lifting of the ground due to natural phenomena or due to productive activities such as the production or storage of hydrocarbons
- landslide movements
- extreme weather events
GeoGuard includes both activities and systems, designed for the development of tailor-made solutions in different application scenarios, for precision positioning with an accuracy of the centimeter in almost real time, and of the millimeter for daily or sub-daily monitoring. In particular, GeoGuard includes:
preliminary inspection activity of the site to be monitored, in order to design the most appropriate solution
deployment of the sensing infrastructure, composed by GeoGuard Monitoring Units, according to the site characteristics
connectivity setup between the sensing infrastructure and the GeoGuard Cloud
GeoGuard Cloud, where data are collected and processed. Positioning and management data are delivered to the customer information systems
online help desk service, to support the customer in the day-by-day operations
professional services: to design build and manage customized solutions according to the customer business needs
The GeoGuard system architecture is constituted of two main components:
- GeoGuard Monitoring Unit (GMU): based on newly designed price-competitive Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) processor. The sensing infrastructure is composed of one or more GMU, integrated with additional sensing equipment according to the customer needs
- GeoGuard Cloud: the system that collects and organizes the acquired data, verifies the data flow integrity, performs the positioning data processing and analyzes the results.
The GeoGuard service is delivered by GReD (www.g-red.eu ) and algoWatt companies, through a collaboration program with the purpose of designing, building and operating solutions for the continuous monitoring of critical infrastructures and ground deformations. The service is guaranteed by the strong skills, assets and proven experience of GReD and Proteco in their fields of competence.
- GReD skills and experience are focused on geodesy and geomatics scientific knowledge, GNSS modeling and algorithm development, and data analysis.
- Softeco skills and experience are focused to hardware design and engineering, telecommunication systems and managed ICT services to large companies.
For more informations: www.geoguard.eu